Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Labor and Industries Issues Q&A on EHB 2805

Engrossed House Bill 2805, which passed the Washington State Legislature in the spring of 2010 requires contractors and subcontractors to report certain information on the Affidavit of Wages Paid form about work that was prefabricated off-site, out of the State of Washington, specifically for a public works project.

Q&A Document Published:  The Department of Labor and Industries on August 11, 2010 issued a Q&A document on the new law.  I was not able to locate L&I's document on their website (having only received it by e-mail), so I have placed a copy of it on my website.  You may view if by clicking here.

What Agencies Are Exempt from EHB 2805?  Many agencies have asked what the new law refers to when it states that it does not apply to "local transportation public works projects."  In L&I's Q&A document, they have characterized the exemption as applying to "local transportation agencies" which is not what EHB 2805 states, and is, I think, misleading.  EHB 2805 refers to types of public works projects that are exempt, and that are conducted by "local" agencies.  It does not refer to "local transportation agencies."  I have contacted a key senator who was apparently influential in the exemption language for "local transportation public works projects" to find out more about the intent and scope of that exemption.  I will share what I find out as soon as I hear more information.

More Information:  I've written about this new law a couple of times previously in my blog:
  • May 16, 2010 - basic explanation of the new law
  • July 27, 2010 - contract language available from State General Administration Department

No comments: