Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Future of Bidder Responsibility Criteria


I spoke on Wednesday night at the monthly meeting of the Utility Contractors of Washington (UCAW).  

My topic was: "Bidder Responsibility Criteria: Balancing the Interests of Owners and Contractors."

Many contractors are concerned with how some public agencies are using bidder responsibility criteria and implementing the provisions of RCW 39.04.350.  In response to these concerns, the Capital Projects Advisory Review Board (CPARB) voted on February 11, 2010 to establish a Task Force on Bidder Responsibility.  Because of my involvement with the 2007 legislation establishing bidder responsibility requirements, and writing CPARB's Suggested Guidelines for Bidder Responsibility, I have an ongoing interest in this subject and ensuring that both contractors and public agencies have a common understanding on how to develop and use the criteria.  I will be serving as a member of the newly established task force.

As more public agencies begin using supplemental bidder responsibility criteria as part of the award process for public works projects, it is important that they understand how to implement and write effective criteria.  An encouraging note this week is that I was asked to provide training next month for a city who plans to begin using supplemental bidder responsibility criteria.  It's good to see public agencies take the implementation of the criteria seriously and seek assistance.

Below is outline of my talk to the Utility Contractors Association of Washington.  If you would like a copy of my PowerPoint presentation, please contact me and I will be glad to send it to you.
  • What is Bidder Responsibility?
  • Why is Bidder Responsibility Important?
  • Bidder Responsibility Before 2007
  • Bidder Responsibility Changes in 2007
  • What are the Interests of Stakeholders?
  • Is Bidder Responsibility Working?
  • What Bidder Responsibility is NOT
  • Abuses of Bidder Responsibility
  • The Future of Bidder Responsibility
  • Resources 
It you would like training or consulting assistance on implementing or responding to bidder responsibility criteria, please contact me

As always, please feel free to comment on your experiences with bidder responsibility.  I'm especially interested in hearing how those of you in other states are dealing with the issue.



No comments: